-->

Time to de-frost

I was breathing heavily, pouring sweat, my knees were paining. No! I was not working out or participating in some sort of Marathon rally for a social cause. I was trying to "de-frost" my refrigerator "manually", breaking ice physically with a knife. Apparently, we'd rented out a refrigerator a year back at our apartment which I share with my friends, 3 of us. The idea of renting a refrigerator was the temporary nature of our permanent jobs, temporary- in sense of Location, and also the fact that we had to pay the rent just once, when they installed it. Its not that the auto defrost doesn't work, its just we needed some urgent space in our freezer which had nothing except ice. Ice every where, popping out of corners and spaces, jamming the freezer door. So I had to "Break it free". Suddenly I realized that I was fancied by ICE, all I can think was ICE, SNOWFALL, or ICEBERGs, or IGLOOS, or emmm!! POLAR BEARS?? But none had the gravity to tickle my fancy, for Ice of course. I lost hope, and sat in front of my computer, impatiently browsing through the music folders, and suddenly!! suddenly! my eyes spotted the marvel right in the middle of the screen. A folder named "Hell Freezes Over"....

Hell Freezes Over - as most of you might know, is a famous album of an all time great band, "The Eagles", with the popular single known as "Hotel California", the age old rock anthem!! a legend. Its not that Hotel California or The Eagles tickled my fancy, it was the album name - "Hell Freezes Over". The word Hell would at once make you think of images like burning lava, dirty and cruel demons all around and Satan on his burning throne...all I can think when I hear the word "Hell" is - Keanu Reaves & his zippo tricks. Nevertheless, I found it troublesome.... difficult to understand or imagine "Hell" with humungous icebergs, snowfall, and well!! may be POLAR BEARS?... Here's an interesting piece that helped me and it will definitely help you imagine Hell "Freezing" over ...

The following is supposedly an actual question given on a University of Washington mid-term chemistry exam. The answer by one student to the bonus question was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question:
Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some other variant. One student, however, wrote the following:


First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions, and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

  1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
  2. Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct leaving only Heaven and thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting, "Oh my God!"

Amen!!

Hell of a Bonus question that was for a Chemistry paper!! At least now we know that Hell and Chemistry are just like "Brothers in arms"!!


P.S: The Image of the Red-Indian above has nothing to do with this post. I just felt that it would look good in this page hence "The Presence".
P.P.S: I strictly do not believe in beliefs of Heaven or Hell. Rational kind... you know!! :P
P.P.P.S: Next time when you utter 'Oh! My God' you know that you are going to Heaven.

P.P.P.P.S: The album "Hell Freezes Over" is a strict recommendation from me. Below is the list of tracks:1. Get Over It 2. Love Will Keep Us Alive 3. The Girl from Yesterday 4. Learn to Be Still 5. Tequila Sunrise 6 . Hotel California 7. Wasted Time 8. Pretty Maids All in a Row 9. I Can't Tell You Why 10. New York Minute 11. The Last Resort 12. Take It Easy 13. In the City 14. Life in the Fast Lane 15. Desperado

5 comments:

Subhayan Mukerjee said...

amazing post buddy! ... lol regarding the hellishly cool chemistry! ... and Hotel California is the only song that I've heard of the Eagles ... lol abt that too ... and lastly i mimicked ur prev post and chatted with my bot ... and results were pretty interesting ... :D he talked anout food and John Lennon :D

Anjan said...

@Wrahool: that is definitely LOL... do hear the other songs too!! and your Bot is pretty intelligent i must say! :D

Subhayan Mukerjee said...

no man ... nothing to make the lol in upper case ... i listen to other bands a lot ... jus that Eagles i heard the one song only ... i love it mind u and i've even composed a remix of Hotel California in Bhagra on my synth ... wanna lisn?

Animesh Ray said...

That was a real cool post mate... that hell and chemistry thing was hilarious.

"P.S: The Image of the Red-Indian above has nothing to do with this post. I just felt that it would look good in this page hence "The Presence"."
LOL...

Anjan said...

@Wrahool: the upper case lol was not emphasised...and it was not for the "What songs u listen?" part, t'was for the chemistry thingie :P...so chill ... and yeah i would love to listen to the remix...link please? a yeah do watch out for the Indian version "Hotel Keralafonia" in youtube...its hilarious... :P

@Animesh: Thanks for dropping by mate... and LOL for the Red-Indian... poor-soul!! was lying on my images folder for a long time... his face was much happier a year ago!! :P do keep visiting! ;)

Post a Comment